Sunday 6 May 2012

Feeling Good Again!


My plan was to write a blog every couple of weeks to chart my running progress, but it’s been 8 weeks since my last one – I’ve just not felt like writing. I’ve just been a bit too down-in-the-doldrums. Oh yeah, and I’ve not actually been running….

Firstly, I picked up an injury – every runners worst nightmare. I think I over did it, increasing my weekly and long-run mileage too quickly in order to be ready for a half marathon at short notice. My last long run, 2 weeks prior to Wilmslow half on 25th March, I did 15 miles (hardly the right mileage 2 weeks before a Half) and felt a *niggle* in my left groin during the first few miles. The two weeks that followed, I really struggled. I attempted a couple of short runs, but my groin was really troubling me. Then race day:

After 7 days of no running at all, I had hoped I’d be OK and I sort of was. I set off at the back of the pack as I was with a guy doing his first race and he didn’t have the confidence to start further up the field. It was a slow start, so much traffic to get through. I think I spent the first half of the race weaving in and out of people and running up grass verges! I felt really good though and so I kept pushing the pace, leaving my race partner behind. The end was tough, but I finished my third half marathon with a new PB (by about a minute) of 1:52 –I’m sure I could have done better with a better start!

The groin didn’t bother me too much whilst running the race, but as soon as I crossed the finish line I was in trouble. I could hardly put my foot down and certainly I couldn’t put any real weight on my left side, and so it was a long limp back to the car park.

This was the start of 5 ½ weeks of no running. Oh. My. Goodness. I would never have thought not running could be so hard. Now I know what a running junkie I am. It was hell. I’ve only been running properly a year and this was my first injury so I didn’t know what to expect, but now I sympathise with anyone who is out of the game. It’s tough.



But now I’m running again…..and it feels great!

I’ve lost a bit of fitness, and the position of my new house is making running harder, but I think I’ll thrive off it going forward. This morning I did my third run this week and felt completely injury-free J

It was glorious sunshine as I headed out my door and turned left up the hill. It’s about 0.3 miles of lung-busting ascent right from the off, but when it levels off on top of the hill its absolutely sublime! It’s then downhill for a bit, then uphill for a bit, then a long gradual downhill…..I think you get the idea!

Anyway, all new running routes to look forward to. I can’t wait.

So, I’ve done what I said I’d do in my first blog. I’ve entered Chester Marathon – my first full marathon. I entered last year and didn’t make it, so this is unfinished business. There’s dozens of us in Twitterland doing it, so I know the support will be amazing. It will be a tough challenge for me – particularly training in the hills for a marathon on the flat, but as someone said to me recently, put very simply: *hills make you stronger*. That they do. What can I say……..

Bring. It. On!

This blog was brought to you by a Berberana Reserva 2007 Rioja … hic!






1 comment:

  1. A couple of years ago a chiropractor appointment went very wrong and I ended up with a bundle of pinched nerves going through my neck and down my left arm. For three months I was in such pain that I cried myself to sleep every night, and running was out of the question. As bad as the injury was, it was the not running that was far harder for me.
    Congrats on the half-marathon PB, and I'm glad you're back on the road again!

    ReplyDelete